The big question I keep hearing is: Would any of these videos benefit me?
Quick answer: Yes, these videos are for EVERYONE. I currently teach a mat Pilates class with ~50 people in it each week. The age of participation ranges from 12 to 75 years old. They all love it for different reasons. After releasing these videos last week, I continue to get great questions. Which video or videos should I download? How often should I do them? Do I need equipment? Can I watch these on any electronic device? How do I download them?
I hear you! Here is a blog to answer your questions and get you going!
I’m often asked: “What are the best exercises for x, y, z…?” This can happen at a party, over email or just in a casual conversation at the park. My answer is usually: “Well, it just depends on what’s actually causing x, y or z.” I treat the cause of symptoms, not just the symptoms. Meaning, someone can come in with foot pain, but actually leave with more exercises for their hip.
Over the past 10 years, I have collected my own clinical data. And here’s the gist. Painful movement patterns and compensations continue to occur because of three common dysfunctional culprits:
1. The Glutes
2. The Deep Abdominals
3. The Scapular Muscles and Thoracic Spine
Addressing these three distinct areas can instantly save you pain down the road. As a physical therapist with a passion for preventive physical therapy, I made some professional videos for you. Yes..YOU! And guess what? They address all three areas: the glutes, the deep abdominals and the thoracic spine. It’s the easiest physical therapy in the world! I’m not sure about you, but I would much rather know how to move BEFORE I feel pain than after. I realize some of you reading this are thinking: “Well, great. I already have pain!” In either case, these videos WILL help you feel and move better.
***Note: if you are under the care of another professional, please ensure they compliment what you are already doing!***
Here’s a quick overview of each video to help you choose which one(s) are right for you! It may be one or all three! These videos are distinctly different and thoughtfully designed from a physical therapy mindset. They give everyone the opportunity to learn healthy muscle activation to improve any sport, activity or function!
Final note (for those of you who think Pilates is “easy”): the better you are at Pilates…the harder it is!
Oh, and these videos don’t require any equipment. Just your body!
What if almost every glute exercise I prescribe to my patients was in one video? And, what if the number of squats was ZERO? This glute routine syncs the whole core to it’s anchor: the glutes! It is a true “butt burner” that easily translates to sport and function.
***Highlights of the Video***
- Improves glute awareness and activation
- Trains Gluteus Maximus, Medius and Minimus OFF the ground for decreased joint load
- Develops (sculpts!) the three gluteal muscles in a healthy, balanced way
- Athletic Adaptations:
- Improves run form and speed
- Improves cycling power and endurance
- Improves weightlifting strength (i.e. squats)
- Decreases knee pain with hiking
- Decreases back pain
- Helps maintain and create healthy movement patterns for walking, function and life!
- ONLY 15 MINUTES: This is an excellent video to supplement any athletic training 1-2x/week or, for those new to their glute area, 2-3x/wk.
Do you really know how to activate your deep abdominals? Most people lack the ability to engage these deep muscles, which can lead to a plethora of unnecessary injuries. (Side note: the word plethora always makes me think of the movie Three Amigos!)
There are actually four (YES, 4!) layers of abdominals. Unfortunately, most of us have absolutely no idea how to engage the deep, inner two layers. But, once you find this activation, it is one of the coolest, life-changing sensations. It makes you feel confident, safe and tall in your body.
***Highlights of the Video***
- Focuses on deep abdominal activation in multiple planes
- Creates awareness and understanding of the true core
- Changes the shape of the torso (true story!) because it trains our “muscular corset”
- Trains all 4 abdominal layers, but specifically Transverse Abdominis and Internal Abdominal Oblique
- Protects our spine from unnecessary load (i.e. disc herniation)
- Teaches abdominal stability and endurance required for ALL sport and function
- Prevents and heals painful muscular syndromes in our body
- ONLY 15 MINUTES: A great opportunity for you to work on the deep abdominals 2-3x/wk
Maybe you’ve been thinking: “I really need to add Pilates to my workout routine.” Or, your doctor has prescribed Pilates as a great way to heal your pain. And, maybe time and/or money are an issue. Here’s the deal. This is a physical therapist led Pilates workout. I created it. The flow, format and exercises are truly meant for anyone. It’s a safe, thoughtful mat routine to teach you how to “be in your body”…head to toe.
***Highlights of the Video***
- Full body workout that creates new awareness and balance in the body
- Focus on thoracic rotation, scapular activation and posture stability
- Emphasis on breath: this makes you feel really good to be in your body!
- Starts and ends in standing to allow for easy transition to the REAL WORLD!
- Creates a deep, stable connection throughout the entire body
- ONLY 45 MINUTES: Designed for anyone wanting to add Pilates to their life, practice 1-3x/wk
How Download the Videos from Vimeo
- Create a Vimeo account with your email (super quick!) : Click Here
- Click on the video(s) you want to download
- Enter your credit card number and information: You buy them once!
- Once they are downloaded, you can watch them ANYWHERE and ON ANY DEVICE. Once you log into Vimeo, your videos sit there…FOREVER! You can use them at the beach, in your home, on a cruise, in Antarctica, etc.
- You can add the Vimeo app to your phone, iPad, computer and it’s already on Roku and Apple TV.
- To use offline, go to “Watch Later”, click on the three dots at the side (···) and choose “Make available offline”. This option is perfect for traveling!
ABOUT THE AUTHOR & INSTRUCTOR
Lori Duncan, DPT, MTC, CPT is a respected Physical Therapist, Manual Therapist and Pilates instructor in Lafayette, CO. Lori is passionate about preventive physical therapy and education and is a nationally recognized presenter. She can be reached at [email protected] You can also follow Duncan Sports Therapy + Wellness on Facebook & Instagram for more free tips and information.